Oxygen Electrode Measurement Teaching System
- Convenient, low cost system for teaching of photosynthesis research & cellular respiration measurements using the oxygen electrode
- DW1/AD electrode chamber with base mounted S1 oxygen electrode disc
- Oxyview electrode control unit with integral magnetic stirrer
- Oxygen content of sample displayed as digital or percentage value
- User-friendly configuration via a responsive 4 button control panel and a series of comprehensive menu screens
- Analogue output for connection to a chart recorder or other external recording device
- Minimal footprint (90 x 135mm) allowing multiple units where bench space is limited
- The Oxyview 1 liquid-phase oxygen electrode teaching system has been designed in response to the ever-increasing demand for a low-cost system for teaching photosynthesis and respiration measurements using oxygen electrode techniques. The system is designed to be used in a busy teaching environment but is equally at home in a modern research facility.
- The Oxyview 1 system provides a high degree of flexibility allowing oxygen evolution or consumption to be demonstrated from a wide range of samples from isolated chloroplasts to mitochondria suspensions in assays for both photosynthesis and cellular respiration studies.
- The system is setup and configured in minutes allowing multiple systems to be used easily amongst large groups for student practicals and techniques demonstrations.
- Clark type oxygen electrodes are used in an enormous number of different bio-sensing applications from measurement of mitochondrial respiration in bio-medical applications and as a probe of photosynthetic performance in plant biology labs.
- The Oxyview 1 system is an ideal solution for practical demonstrations of this significant and highly flexible method of bio-sensing throughout all areas of the biological sciences.
OXYV1 _Oxygen Electrode Control Unit.
- Manual Oxygen control box and integrated magnetic stirrer.
- The Oxyview is configured and controlled via a front mounted control panel featuring 4 touch-sensitive buttons. Configuration is achieved by navigating through a series of simple menu screens and following the displayed guidelines for each step of the setup process. These configuration steps include setting of the stirrer speed (for liquid-phase measurements) and back-off and gain settings. Once configured, the Oxyview control unit provides an accurate and stable reading of the oxygen content of the sample in question
- The Oxyview control unit has an integral magnetic stirrer for liquidphase applications allowing the overall footprint of the Oxyview 1 system to be minimal (90 x 135mm); convenient when multiple setups are required for teaching programmes in limited space
- The Oxyview control unit is powered by a 12V DC wall cube which connects directly to the rear of the unit. Also at the rear is a 0 – 5V analogue output. This allows the measured values from the control unit to be logged to an external recording device such as a chart recorder or similar datalogger accepting a 0 – 5V analogue input.
DW1/AD oxygen electrode chamber
- Provides a highly versatile solution to measurements of dissolved oxygen in liquid-phase samples. It can be used for a wide range of applications from basic teaching through to more advanced research assays
- Due to the gas-tight plunger assembly, the DW1/AD lends itself particularly well to respiration assays in small sample volumes where any minute diffusion of ambient oxygen into the chamber may cause measurement artefacts
- The DW1/AD oxygen electrode chamber is constructed from clear cast acrylic providing good sample visibility & uniform illumination. Precise temperature control of the sample and electrode disc can be achieved by connecting the water jacket of the DW1/AD to a thermoregulated circulating water bath
- The sample is housed within a borosilicate glass reaction vessel which has a variable sample volume of between 0.2 and 2.5ml controlled by the gas-tight adjustable plunger assembly. This plunger has a stoppered central precision bore allowing additions/subtractions to be made to/from the reaction mixture using a standard Hamilton type syringe.
- The Oxyview 1 system is based around the S1 Clark type polarographic oxygen electrode disc. When fitted, the dome of the electrode disc forms the floor of the electrode chamber reaction vessel providing a sensitive and rapid response to small changes in oxygen tension within the sample
- The electrode disc comprises a central platinum cathode and a concentric silver anode. Preparation of the electrode includes the addition of electrolyte and the application of a thin oxygen permeable P.T.F.E. membrane to the electrode dome
- Once prepared and positioned in the electrode chamber, the disc is connected to an electrode control unit which applies a small polarising voltage between the platinum and silver electrodes. In the presence of oxygen, a small current is generated proportional to oxygen activity in the sample
- S1 electrode to provide sensitive and reliable tools for a vast range of applications from the demonstration of oxygen evolution from photosynthetic organisms to the analysis of mitochondrial respiration rates.
- With modifications and in conjunction with accessory equipment, the S1 oxygen electrode disc may be used to measure other gasses such as hydrogen and nitric oxide.
||Electrode Control Unit
||0 – 100% oxygen
|Min. O2 Resolution
||10 x 10-6 μmols/ml at 20 °C
|Integral Magnetic Stirrer
||Manually operated between 250 – 900rpm in % steps
||Selectable between 0.4 – 0.9V (0.7V recommended default)
||Coarse gain x1, x2, x5, x10, x20, x50, x100.
Fine gain in 1mV steps
||Signal back off in 1mV steps.
|Integral Test Resistor
||Electrode disc input
||0 – 5V analogue output of electrode signal
||90 (w) x 135 (d) x 85mm (h). Weight: 320g
||95 – 260V universal input mains supply. Output 12V DC 2.5A
|Electrode Chamber Compatibility
||All Hansatech Instruments electrode chambers
||Oxygen Electrode Chamber
||Clear cast acrylic
||Precision bore, borosilicate glass tube
||0.2 – 2.5ml
||Water jacket connected to thermoregulated circulating water bath
||65 (d) x 105mm (h). Weight 100g
||Variable plunger assembly with central bore for sample additions
||Oxygen Electrode Disc
||Clark type polarographic oxygen sensor
||Typically 1µA at 21% O2
||Typically 0.02µA in 0% O2
||10 – 90% typically < 5 seconds
||Typically <0.015µmol hr-1
Accessories & Spares Supplied
- A2 Membrane applicator
- A3 Top plate key and alignment jig (for disassembly of DW1/AD electrode chamber)
- S2/P Magnetic followers
- S3 Spare reaction vessels
- S4 30m roll of PTFE membrane
- S7A Spare O-rings for DW1/AD electrode chamber
- S16 Electrode cleaning kit